1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound Arborio rice
½ medium onion, finely chopped
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ teaspoon saffron threads
60 ounces chicken broth
1 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
salt and pepper to taste
(1) In a large stock pot over medium-high heat bring chicken broth and saffron to a simmer; continue simmering for about 15 minutes to infuse the broth with saffron flavor, then reduce to low-heat to keep broth warm.
(2) Heat olive oil and only 1 tablespoon butter in a shallow 4qt. sauce pan.; add onion and cook until translucent.
(3) Add arborio rice to heat through and lightly toast, stirring constantly to keep rice from sticking or burning.
(4) Add 1 cup of the warmed broth, stirring the rice constantly until the liquid is almost absorbed.
(5) Continue to add broth 1 cup at a time while stirring constantly to make sure rice doesn’t stick, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice appears shiny and is cooked through. Overall, it should take approximately 40 minutes for the rice to completely absorb most or all of the broth
(7) Stir in remaining 3 tablespoons butter and grated Parmesan to cooked rice mixture. Season salt, pepper to taste and serve warm.
What to do with leftover risotto?
With leftover risotto, make risotto crab cakes and remove 2 cups cooked risotto and reserve for crab cakes.