Moroccan-Style Seafood Stew
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon ground cumin
14½ ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
½ cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper, or to taste
½ teaspoon dark brown sugar
1 pound halibut filet, rinsed, skin removed and cut into 1” cubes
8 large shrimp, rinsed, peeled and deveined
1 tsp fresh Italian parsley, minced
1 tsp fresh cilantro, minced
1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
8 each kalamata olives, cut in half
Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese
(1) In a large shallow 4-quart sauce pan over medium-high heat, sauté garlic in olive oil until translucent, do not brown.
(2) Add cayenne, paprika, and cumin; cook until fragrant.
(3) Add diced tomatoes, wine, broth, dark brown sugar, salt, pepper; simmer for 15 minutes with pot uncovered.
(4) Add halibut and shrimp to simmered tomato-garlic mixture; Cover pot and simmer for an additional 5 to 6 minutes, or until fish and shrimp are cooked through.
(5) Add parsley, cilantro, and lemon juice; gently stir to combine, taking care to not break up the chunks of fish. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
(6) Using large bowls, serve over saffron risotto and garnish with chopped kalamata olives and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.