ITALIAN SAUSAGE RAGÙ – aka “Spaghetti Sauce”
1 tablespoon pure olive oil
½ pound Italian sausage, spicy
1 pound Italian sausage, mild
1 medium yellow onion, chopped coarsely
7 cloves garlic, pressed then chopped
1 (28-ounce) can diced petite tomatoes, drained
1 (28-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
⅓ cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
4 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, rinsed, rolled, sliced and chopped
8 tablespoons parmesan cheese, finely grated
1 pound of dried pasta, cooked according to the package directions.
(Suggested pasta varieties are linguine, spaghetti, or capellini)
8 tablespoons parmigiano-reggiano, finely grated
(1) Heat 1 tablespoon of pure olive oil in a large 4qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add sausage to the pan and cook while breaking it up into smaller pieces using a wooden spoon.
(2) Once meat is slightly browned, add chopped yellow onion and cook until translucent
(3) Press and chop 5 cloves of garlic and add to meat mixture; cook until translucent.
Newbie Note: If garlic is overcooked or burned it can leave behind a bitter taste, so cook with caution.
(4)Add strained diced tomatoes and stir.
Newbie Note: getting rid of the juice makes less time to thicken.
(5) Add tomato sauce, brown sugar, salt and pepper to meat mixture and simmer without the lid, slowly bubbling, on medium-low heat until sauce thickens for approximately 30 to 45 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking or burning.
Newbie Note: To reduce potential splattering, a lid can be used to cover the pan, but place it slightly of the side to allow the steam to escape and sauce to reduce. If a lid is used, the cooking time may increase.
(6) When sauce has reduced and thickened, stir in remaining 2 cloves of pressed and chopped garlic and chopped basil leaves.
Newbie Note: Dried Basil can be substituted for fresh, however it will need to be added with the strained tomatoes. Fresh Basil is added at the very end to maximize the flavor. If it is added too soon, then the aromatics of the basil will be lessened.
(7) Serve over the pasta of your choice that has been cooked according to the package directions and garnish with freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese.
Photos By Allure West Studios